Possible Father and Daughter project, 88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I am particularly happy with my roof bodywork. It is unique and the finish works with the colour. I will get a better pic tomorrow, weird lighting.
20190703_193523.jpg

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
A little better picture but still looks better in person and full sunlight. I guess the first thing when I come home is take a picture.20190704_200249.jpg

Reactions: JAMCAR223

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Well the belt setup sounds like it is supercharged. It can't see contact anywhere and the belt has stayed in place. Everything turned nice and smooth individually. Next will be installing the A/C lines and charging it.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I think other than charging the A/C and installing the new cycling switch when it comes, the A/C will be ready to go. The belt is now quieter for some reason, still can't see any contact spots. It got up around 195 on a highway drive and stayed there. I have the fans on constant low speed with key on, the alternator sits at 14.5 volts and idle in park. I retarded the timing a few degrees, it was hitting against the starter. I bumped the idle up to 1000 rpm was around 800 rpm in park. The idle in gear drops to around 500 rpm and is unstable. I need to play with the mixture screws and put a timing marker and my light on it. The acceleration is okay, not sure if the lock up is working. I have had to play with the linkage a few times since changing the selector seal, still barely get park. Maybe I unplugged the the connector, the TCI vacuum switch is right there.

Reactions: JAMCAR223

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Well I got the A/C charged. Of course it leaked at the big line on the accumulator, needed double O rings. I also needed double O rings at cycling switch. Of course it wants to shoot at defrost and the floor. I thought I replaced the leaking selector valve, maybe the other one is leaking. I had to tighten up the air gap on the new clutch. Now it engages everytime. The compressor is actually fairly quiet. The gamble seems to have paid off, considering it had sat for 5 years on the shelf.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I found it. It is leaking by the high pressure switch in the back of the compressor. I assume it is held in by a O ring and snap ring? I have two A/C O ring kits, one for the 88 and one for the 94 that I cannibalized half the system for. I can hear a hissing there and oil is seeping out. I will let it bleed down and replace the O ring. It is minor but a PIA to fix. Still need to figure out getting the vents to work.