I propped up the trans cooler and decided to drop the trans pan. I saw this, leakage of course. I changed the selector shaft seal, this is probably the trans pan. I put the trans in from the wrecker 2 years ago, shift nice. I am changing the fluid and putting in bigger boost valves and a higher rpm governor. Of course since I am changing the fluid, only spilled a cup. This is what I found in the pan, 260 torque in front of it.
Looks really good.
I should be able to get the motor out this next weekend, Wife is working. Just the motor mounts, torque converter bolts and four bellhousing bolts and drain the engine oil. I took 2200 to 2500 torque converter which flashes at 2300 stall and put 2 Liters of trans hydraulic fluid through it. I put 1L in shook it around and drained overnight. Took another Liter and did the same and drained for an hour. I put a clean shop rag in the hole and put it on the shelf upside down. With the Olds 350, will check and see how much #7 and #8 compression improved, 2300 stall and 3.42 open on 70 series tires should make it Dr Olds Burnout Machine.
I should stick to getting this motor out and stop going on so many rabbit trails. Well I got my modified governor, no issues and should be around 5000 rpm shifts even without the line bias spring change. I grind the small weight anout as small as it will go and stake the spring. I tap the hole and thread in a machine screw then grind off the head. Then I plan on putting a .555 foward boost valve, .296 reverse, stiffer Sonnax spring and regulator valve with the one land cut down. Ever feel you should have left it alone? I managed to jam and wreck both boost valves and then since it was wrecked, I made sure it would still go into the bore. Well I jammed that in there good, so I drilled a hole in it and now have a tap in it. I need to get it out! I will buy a slid hammer, good grief. I have the stiffer spring, modified spool, stock reverse valve and .500" valve I can use. Stupid drippy transmission and me being at an angle is what I will blame on this. I have done this before on my back although out of car is ideal. End rant.
Today went better, Wife is in bad mood, shit breaking and snarky comments from a member on Gbody makes me grouchy as well. I finally got the old boost valve out and used a hand file to clean out any burrs. I wish the bigger low/reverse boost valve didn't get damaged. I used the small stock low/reverse valve, .555" is wrecked so a .500" foward boost valve and stiffer spring. I also tried the new Permatex Optimum Black RTV supposedly 15% more oil resistance and 40% stronger than Ultra Black. It actually suggests a trans pan as a use, so I glued the fiber pan on the pan side and torqued down to flatten the gasket out. I got everything else off. I even pulled the pan and oil pump so I don't have to take off the hood. I also tapped out the new dipstick tube from Supercars Unlimited so it doesn't get broken pulling it. I will get the Daughter's boyfriend to pull the 88 out of the way when I lift the engine. I think it will be my winter weight in the Dakota.