What did you do to your Olds powered vehicle today?

smooth_358

Oct 9, 2018
MN
been working on getting this guy together, we'll see how much boost it can handle before it pops since its only a cast piston motor. Ended up having an issue getting pushrods for almost two months, so that paused my progress. That and welding the turbo drain in a bad spot, had to cut it off to redo this weekend.

48117265883_da1f3684dc_k.jpg

48117325787_f11a05aeb8_z.jpg

Reactions: TURNA and Dr78442

TURNA

Oct 5, 2018
NY
been working on getting this guy together, we'll see how much boost it can handle before it pops since its only a cast piston motor. Ended up having an issue getting pushrods for almost two months, so that paused my progress. That and welding the turbo drain in a bad spot, had to cut it off to redo this weekend.

Small Block?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan

Is that the brown car in the pic, behind the motor? You had a 76 350 with the T56 correct? Do tell us all the details.

smooth_358

Oct 9, 2018
MN
Small Block?

yep, 350 .040 over that I picked up cheap to experiment with. Pulled apart, gapped rings, swapped in some new crank/rod bearings. If this one dies, plan to build a forged bottom end later.

Is that the brown car in the pic, behind the motor? You had a 76 350 with the T56 correct? Do tell us all the details.

The one in the background was my dads. 87 442 that my uncle built a healthy sbc for.

Brown 87 cutlass is further over in the garage, and will be the one that gets this motor. Still stockish 76 350 with a t56 for now. Will get this transplanted with a single 65/76, with a fitech tbi setup. Custom erson cam, performer RPM intake, Grand prix/regal factory sumped tank, racetronix fuel pump setup. Already have most of the parts gathered, just finding time to plug away at it. Then start fitting/welding up the piping.

most of what i'm tinkering on can be found here

Last edited:

TURNA

Oct 5, 2018
NY
What are you going to do for a pulley setup since the heads are drilled for a big block?

smooth_358

Oct 9, 2018
MN
if i'm not mistaken, the two holes I need for my alt mount are in the same spot.

I plan to re use my 307 pulleys/alt setup that I have currently. if that's not the case i'll just make an upper mount for the alternator with heim's on it and weld something up for the bottom

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Did you buy it with those Mondollar Procomp heads? I would do some measuring since those are probably out of box heads which have questionable valves and hardware. I would assume that the thieves from Pasco Robles just buy them complete and stamp Mondello on them. Benard actually cares about his family legacy and builds them with better parts.

smooth_358

Oct 9, 2018
MN
Did you buy it with those Mondollar Procomp heads? I would do some measuring since those are probably out of box heads which have questionable valves and hardware. I would assume that the thieves from Pasco Robles just buy them complete and stamp Mondello on them. Benard actually cares about his family legacy and builds them with better parts.

Lol, no. I bought them used. Put in half new edelbrock valves, and half stainless valves I was going to use for my iron heads. They are cnc ported from the wrong mondello, all new guides, re surfaced, etc at the shop here in town that builds my friends race motors. Hes battling for nationwide late model points currently.

Got rocker arms and seals and such from bernard for them. Need to finish/clean up the intake and paint the valve covers I have for em yet. Down to the details.

Reactions: TURNA

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Sweet, sounds you have it under control. I assume those are 24cc cast replacement pistons? How much boost are you running?

smooth_358

Oct 9, 2018
MN
Sweet, sounds you have it under control. I assume those are 24cc cast replacement pistons? How much boost are you running?

I planned to stay conservative at 6 or so for a while until I get stuff sorted.

Found out the guy I picked up a 403 for was running up to 15lbs and 38 degrees of timing before he popped it. He didnt even gap the rings. So that gives me hope for pushing it a bit. If I could get this to live at 450 I'd be more than thrilled.

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

82cutty

Dec 13, 2019
central PA
600_on_260.JPG

Noobie here. Was on this site for a while about 10 years ago. Then life got in the way. This car sat for 8 years. Around Sept I started going through it again. I'll thread the history somewhere here, but for now, The topic is "what I did today" .

That's an Edelbrock 1405 on a slightly modified adapter plate. It developed a vacuum leak, apparently. I did a short rebuild but I shouldn't have disturbed Mickey Mouse setup from adapter to base. I backfired today and the plate blew loose so I have to re-tap the 4 aluminum threads on the manifold. And replace that thick base plate gasket. Oh well.

I know the 4BBL on the 260 could be considered somewhat comical. In 2008 I was driving over multiple mountains to school and the Rochester just wasn't cutting it. Installed, MPG fell but at least I was no longer frustrating people behind me uphill. Worked really well back then. I had the 4BBL manifold back then but opted for the adapter rather than the offset port issue you get from the other manifold. Maybe I'll reconsider that . I dunno.

Reactions: TURNA

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
View attachment 799

Noobie here. Was on this site for a while about 10 years ago. Then life got in the way. This car sat for 8 years. Around Sept I started going through it again. I'll thread the history somewhere here, but for now, The topic is "what I did today" .

That's an Edelbrock 1405 on a slightly modified adapter plate. It developed a vacuum leak, apparently. I did a short rebuild but I shouldn't have disturbed Mickey Mouse setup from adapter to base. I backfired today and the plate blew loose so I have to re-tap the 4 aluminum threads on the manifold. And replace that thick base plate gasket. Oh well.

I know the 4BBL on the 260 could be considered somewhat comical. In 2008 I was driving over multiple mountains to school and the Rochester just wasn't cutting it. Installed, MPG fell but at least I was no longer frustrating people behind me uphill. Worked really well back then. I had the 4BBL manifold back then but opted for the adapter rather than the offset port issue you get from the other manifold. Maybe I'll reconsider that . I dunno.
So you have a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb on an adapter, on the stock 260 2 barrel manifold? All 260 had factory Dualjet 2 barrel carbs, so if it is 4 barrel manifold, someone put it on.

Reactions: 82cutty

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan

Latest posts