Another 403

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
Good to hear. I remember him having the shop for sale but things must have changed. I still have one I got from Jim 15 years ago. The one I sold was a copy but was CNCd and a little thicker. It was very nice. I've had it hanging on the wall for 15 years. I'm not planning to hot rod this 403, just a driver. I've met Jim at the Norwalk Dick Miller Oldsmobile meet a few times. I'm a 403 fan. I always say, too bad they never made a 403 Diesel. Jmo.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I appreciate it Ken, looks very nice and a great deal. Waiting patiently on Mark Remmel for some parts. Then get the block to the machine shop for an overbore, deck, hone, cam bearings install, main studs with girdle and an align hone. Then balancing and spend more money for the rest of the parts.

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
The cost starts to add up quick in building/rebuilding an engine. That's why the engine builders get so much for "specialty" engines such as Oldsmobiles. I always say "a man has to know his limitations, especially with an Oldsmobile",
Jokingly, but true. My new motto is, "use the parts I've accumulated over the years." There's always going to be "a better camshaft grind or pistons with better ring package or a new type of aluminium heads but at a big cost vs using the "hot ticket parts" from 20 years ago. Thinking back, the most fun racing was the cheaper builds for me.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I agree there are always new, better parts. Cutlassefi's 4" stroker crank is a good example. I have accumulated a 3.5" stroke 330 crank, 6" Scat sbc 2" journal rods with 550 gram 4.390" Venolia custom 2618 forged stroker pistons with a .043"/1.5 mm/3mm ring pack. I also have ported #6 heads 2"/1.625" with filled crossovers. Obviously a 350 block with the new stroker crank and Procomp heads would out perform and outlast this 403 build. Then again so would a 6L or 6.2 LS but who wants that, not me. Using what I have and almost no one is running this combo. Planning on an aggressive roller cam to finish it out.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I love those 403s bores, not much valve shrouding there! :) I would use everything plus the #6 heads on the 403. Put it in the 1970 with W31 emblems. :)
Thanks Ken, I may just do that. I will paint it gold, already have a homemade dual snorkel that looks factory with a Rocket 350 decal, chrome filter top with decal and the solid black with decal. I also need new grills, need to decide between "S" and 442 grills. A W31 Emblem might be exactly what it needs.

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
Former owner purchased this engine as a long block from Auto Zone in 2006. He then went on a shopping spree at Summit Racing. In the course of his ownership he purchased an Edelbrock Performer and an Edelbrock RPM intakes, Edelbrock camshaft, valve springs, lifters and roller timing set. Comp Cams 1441 kit, roller tip rockers, pushrods. He had a new H.E.I.distributor/cap/wires plus a new Edelbrock Carb, Mellings hi-vol pump, a couple gasket sets plus a new set of Fel-Pro head gaskets and a turkey tray.
He sent the engine to 2 different guys over the years. He had health problems and almost died. Him and his Son finally got the engine back. By now the heads were off. Short block was on an engine stand, he threw it in also. To be continued.

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
Even though some say no, I still spray head gaskets with head gaskets with VHT hi-temp Copper gasket. Say what you want about 403s but one has to love the 1/2" head bolts, 130 ft.lbs. vs wimpy 7/16" 85 ft.lbs. 20191124_134153.jpg

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Even though some say no, I still spray head gaskets with head gaskets with VHT hi-temp Copper gasket. Say what you want about 403s but one has to love the 1/2" head bolts, 130 ft.lbs. vs wimpy 7/16" 85 ft.lbs. View attachment 785
Yeah, it certainly can't hurt sealing. I may do the same on my motor. How do those Felpro head gaskets fit with the .040" overbore? I believe someone claimed they measured 4.380".

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
I have the set of Fel-Pro's that came on the long block from Auto Zone. I'll measure one of them. They were "torqued" but someone took the heads off. I cleaned them up and I wouldn't be afraid of re-using them after a couple spay coats of copper. Then again some will say you can't reuse them but I've reuse steel shim head gaskets back in the 1960s when money was tight, of course I was a Chevy guy back then. There was no such thing as a credit card, cash only. I remember making payments on a camshaft at "one" of the 3 local speed shops. All have been out of business. The original buyer had bought new Fel-Pro head gaskets and 2 gasket sets, so I used them. Even though he'd purchased all new Edelbrock cam, lifters, springs, Comp Cams 1441 kit. I'm using a Sealed Power Camshaft (generic S2028H 280 290 204 214 .448 .472 112) actually pretty much the same camshaft as the Edelbrock. I've had the Sealed Power Camshaft for near 25 years. I got it in a package engine deal. I think this camshaft is a good fit for this driver engine. He included all the parts that came on the long block in a box. I checked the timing set, it was a Cloyes set. I checked it against two new sets I've got, one is a new Cloyes set, the other a "CarQuest" box but also made by Cloyes, all made in U.S.A. I'm re-useing all the push rod, lifters, etc that were in the long block. I "almost" degree'd the camshaft but after checking all the parts, I short cut it. I've degree'd 2 camshafts and both were correct. I pretty much follow Joe Mondello's way. He always spayed the head gaskets. I dimpled the front and back intake block rails as Joe always recommended. Included was a turkey tray intake set. I'll probably use it. I'm going with a A4. I think factory rating was 180 hp, I'm shooting for 181 :)

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

TURNA

Oct 5, 2018
NY
'Im using the Cometics on mine

I was told by BTR never use the FelPro's with the 403's

They will wind up squishing into the cylinder

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
'Im using the Cometics on mine

I was told by BTR never use the FelPro's with the 403's

They will wind up squishing into the cylinder
Really? I would think Copper Coat would help this from happening as well. I used Corteco gaskets last time they took multiple overheatings and still held up, using #8 heads. I did have one Corteco blow on my 76 350 using 307 5A heads without head bolt reducing bushings. It could have been movement or over torquing the knock sensor for the TBI Z71.

Reactions: Kennybill

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
This engine's not going to be a romper stomper, just a driver. About 20 years ago I bought a project car with a machined but apart 403. I'd never had a 403 and was curious even though I'd heard they were no good. I had the short block together when I decided to talk with Jim @ J&S. I pull the main caps and sent them to Jim, he milled them and sent me a halo girdle. It was. 030 over Speed Pro's with Fel-Pro gaskets. I used a. 496/.520 Lunati, I think, stock one angle #5 fresh heads, no A.I.R. bumps, Holley Street Dominater (so wrong for this engine but intake would be great for a high winder). G-body 3:73 gears, best run was 12:94@ 105 mph. Heads would not flow enough. Had to run an air cleaner and short shift @5,000 come thru @ 5,300 maybe a hair more. Fun car, never ran over 180° 3-14-2007-50.jpg

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I measured the Fel-Pro that came on it originally. My good digital caliber needs a battery, went to a backup. 4.3883"
View attachment 787
That should be close enough to the 4.390" bore my pistons need. I have one new one, I will try and take a measurement on it. It almost identical to the used Corteco's 403 bore. I won't step up to the Cometic head gaskets unless I put aluminum heads on this motor.

Latest posts