What did you do to your Olds powered vehicle today?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Honestly i am a little disappointed

They use a GMB housing, then they press on their own impeller
and charge more than double what the GMB pump cost
True but unless you have a factory closed impeller pump, no one other than Flowkooler builds them. I got a nice factory cast iron closed impeller cast iron pump on the 260 I had, going on my 350 in the 70S.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Picked up my FlowKooler water pump.

Here is the old version I have. Pretty sure it did nothing to help cooling, probably hurt cooling on my 403 if anything over a factory closed impeller, open which looks very similar to the Flowkooler above. The open impeller is much smaller.
20200404_082825.jpg

Reactions: TURNA

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I wondered why my big A body rad in my G body could not cool my 260 in my 88. For one I didn't turn the rad cap on, why not, more coolant on the ground, sure why not. I turned on the fans at 230, down to 215 with the fans on when I noticed the rad cap. Shoot my temp gun at the sender and thermostat housing, nothing above 170 WTF? It read 10 degrees high, now 45 high, ridiculous! Anyone see cheap gauges like this Sunpro be so far off?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Possibly, I will see if the end for the capillary tube has become damaged, maybe the factory intake hole is shallower. I think this gauge has always read high, more like 10 degrees, not 45. Either way new sensor time.

Last edited:

82cutty

Dec 13, 2019
central PA
I see you're keepin busy, man. I'm waiting for a nice sunny warm day to come along to sand this Stucompatable with my 82 G-body?plicolor Paint Shop enamel off this car.
I can't believe it's Monday and the forecast says the next day when it will be over 50F and not raining is sometime next week.
Welcome to Pennsyl-rain-ya

Hood, roof, and trunk paints' all cracking and looks like alligator skin.

Hey, anybody by chance, know if the 1980 4door Cutlass rear window trim is compatible with my 82 Cutty G-Bod?

Last edited:

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Pretty sure the 4 door is unique unfortunately. 70S is going most of the way together tomorrow.

82cutty

Dec 13, 2019
central PA
I want to do this outside because then I could wet sand for dust control.
Attempting wet , dry, or even vacuum collection would be a bloody mess in my 1 car garage.

Thanks for the info on that trim. A guy on eblay has a cheap set, but he's relisted it 4 times. Figured that may be the case. Didn't get too far with a direct search.
Guess I could have referenced both parts numbers.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Yeah, I won't do a full strip down in my garage again, still dust hanging around. What are you planning for paint?

82cutty

Dec 13, 2019
central PA
Yeah, I won't do a full strip down in my garage again, still dust hanging around. What are you planning for paint?
LOL
Probably acrylic basecoat and 2kClear . Maybe some flake in the base coat. I have like 30 pictures on my pC of Cuttys with different colors. The white interior leaves me pretty much at black, blue , grey or red. But I might just have a shop shoot it once I prime it all up.

This corona time is perfect for dumb flat labor, like getting this thing prepped. Even if I don't paint right away. A primer car is quick to clean up.

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

82cutty

Dec 13, 2019
central PA
So today was the magic day. I'd spoken before about my failing Duplicolor PaintShop Pro paint. Don't get me wrong, I shot it on a another car first. But it was my daughters honda,12 years old, and ya know, 3 years after paint it was sold on to someone else. So just not sure all-in-1 mix is a good long game paint.

This is what it looks like in 17 years. At least on the trunk, middle pic roof or (hood). Third shot hood.

124750at80.jpg
20200415at40.jpg
20200415at70.jpg

So the hood picture above, you can see one of the sampling areas as I tested how much dynamite I was going to require to get this abomination off my car.
Wound up using these things ( stock photo) at #80 grit flavor on my angle grinder. Glad I did. I already knew the paint was hard. Five minutes in, I knew I was not going to be able to stop at the stock finish, which I was hoping I'd get luck, but no. Everybody had to go. 3 layers of clear cote, 3 layers enamel, 1 layer Olds enamel? (grey) . 1 Layer primer.
5pcs-Set-100x16mm-Poly-Strip-Stripper-Disc-Wheel-Stripper-Clean-Grinder-Remover-Removal-Paint-Rust-Sanding.jpg_q50.jpg

chopped.png

This hood was ground down wet. Always. Kept a bucket, didn't stay in one spot long, and kept slapping the wet rag behind me on it to keep the steel cool.
Definitely heat management was necessary. This shit was hard and fought me for every gain. It came off in an a assorment of chips and tarballs..

The wrap up masking looks elaborate, but really took under 10 minutes when you have big cheap plastic sheets. If you ever see them in the bargain bin, grab 'em. Remember, your're not lining your swimming pool with 'em. But yeah, I know ... I have seen the pickup truck swimming pools.

While priming, I almost forgot to snap a pic. I stopped spraying and ran in the garage real fast to get the phone and take a picture for prosperity.
The masking down the middle was because I didn't pull the chrome stirp off, so obviously paint's still there about 1/2" out on both sides.
But this took a bit of time and rain was scheduled. So I 'll get back to the center line. Also there's a woop-de-do on the pass side I have to deal with.
Like somebody sat on the hood for a while or something. I knew it was there.

Last edited:

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Man, does that look bad. Glad I only sort of went that route, started spraying that, realized my body work was only adequate on the roof. I finished my 88 in Tremclad Primer then Tremclad Clear Coat. It actually looks like hammered Copper, or wavy body work with Primer and Clear but I choose the first one😁.

Reactions: 82cutty

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Semi gloss black?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I thought that bottom pic, the one you showed before was primer. The factory 307 black is semi gloss, looks good on those covers as well.

Reactions: 82cutty

Dr78442

Oct 3, 2018
NY
Installed new S/S brake lines and the new in the frame headers. Now to clock the starter and wire. Pictures will be posted later

Reactions: TURNA

Latest posts