My 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I got to the Tuning Wizard, realized two things. I want the Terminator to control the fuel pump. It can run pumps up to 15 amps or just trigger them. Key on through the Mr.Gasket fuel pump relay isn't going to cut it. I actually unplugged the relay pissing around with this. Second, I didn't know my injector size. I asked Mark, he was pretty sure they are 50 pound Holley injectors. I was thinking 20 degrees as the static timing setting. I did find one small fuel leak last night at the drivers side crossover while messing with the distributor, hopefully the only one. I will do a good check over before switching the fuel pump wiring. Hopefully a fire up later today!

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
So it runs, just not right. It started, idled ridiculously high. It also cranks like the timing is over advanced. I changed a couple of things, dropped the cranking timing to 10 from 15. It wouldn't even start until I put it back. I'm going to try a couple of things Mark mentioned to try next weekend and see if it will idle at less than 3000 rpm. It may be the Ebay special throttle body, may order a Holley throttle body. A person doesn't save on the cheap stuff unfortunately.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Well, I think the high rpm issue is the TPS. My current POS TB has the TPS on the passenger side. The new Speedmaster TB also has it on the passenger side. Looking up the TPS and IAC, it requires a 87 Ford TPS. It turns the opposite way as the LS style TPS I am using. They also claim the mid 90's IAC for the Speedmaster, supposedly an Accufab copy. In the Speedmaster full kit, it looks like the LS style IAC, I have both. I am going to pick up a Ford TPS from Napa on Saturday and see if it will idle, it should.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Well, the timing was off, over advanced. Then I went too far retarded. In between just right, imagine that. Timing at 30 degrees checked with the light at idle, forgot to check rpm. I removed the IAC and taped it off, it idled down. It is pulling so much vacuum, I actually had to use hard plastic or it leaked vacuum and revved super high again. The TPS seems to work with this throttle body. I need to basically shut off the IAC, pretty sure it is set at 40 percent.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Well this throttle body is an absolute POS. It is the reason it idling over 1000 rpm. Even with 3 return springs plus shafts don't seal tight. Plus it hits and jams on the air cleaner.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Also put in fresh VR1 10W30 and a Wix 51258 oil filter. The Wix Protec filter looks identical inside to the NAPA Gold 1258 filter inside. My new oil filter cutter worked way better. Some metal but less than the last oil change Those oil pressure numbers in the video are the fresh 10W30, still really good.

Latest posts