What did you do to your Olds powered vehicle today?

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
After a long stretch of "paying the bills", I'm finally in the process of putting new tires on the Cutlass. The ones that are on it now were used when I put them on 8 years ago, and I think they're 12 years old. They're touring 215/65-15s and traction has been somewhat of an...issue...with the 455. Unfortunately the rims I have are the exact ones I want, 15x7 SSIIIs, and my understanding is the backspacing is 4.25", which means the tires are already close to the frame. Did all the research, measuring, and math, and decided to go with 245/60-15s on the back, along with 1/4" spacers. Staying with 215s on the front on account of the Hooker 3203s. Thought about new studs, but it appears I'll still have almost 9 turns or 13.5 mm, so it should be fine. This setup should still have 3/8 to 7/16 of space between the tires and frame, compared with 5/8 now.

Reactions: SupremeSpeed

CutlassOlds

Feb 7, 2019
Boston
I need to get a set of rear tires 205/70/14 bf goodrich gt radials cheapest price I can find is ebay for $133 a tire. Last year I scored a pair on eBay for $240 I should have gotten all 4 at that time

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
Maybe keep an eye out on Craigslist? If you're desperate, there are other brands available for a lot cheaper, not white letters though.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Where did you get those valve covers? Curious how the lettering will hold up.

TURNA

Oct 5, 2018
NY
Those are 307/403 covers that I sprayed the same color of the car and then had a sign shop make up the Oldsmobile logo to match the 73 only covers.

I have 2 sets of the 73 covers, but the extra empty holes in them would drive me nuts

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Extra empty holes?

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
Looking good. I have Oldsmobile mud flaps too! The extra holes he's talking about are, some of the valve covers have more mounting holes than others, to match various heads. You can technically mount either cover on either head, but if your head has fewer holes, you'll have unused holes on the valve covers.

Over here, I have finally discovered the secret to factory-looking OAI on a 455 G-body. More to come...

Reactions: TURNA

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I thought you had a 455 in that car? It does look like a SBO.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Sorry, I was thinking you were Intergration. I fill the extra holes with silicone with 10 bolt covers on later motors. I do need to find a good set of those Oldsmobile lettering valve covers for the 260. I am finally purchasing a set of Serpentine adapter brackets from Larry this week.

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
Well, I finally bolted my new air cleaner on tonight, and I'm pretty happy with the results. My goal was to get a factory-style dual-snorkel air cleaner under the factory aluminum hood with no cutting, no smashing, and no clearance or maintenance issues. For those who aren't aware, it's difficult to do this on a G-body with a 455 because the 455 is taller than a 307/350/403. I'm also running an Edelbrock Performer, which I believe pushes the air cleaner even higher. Anyway, here it is. The "Impossible". In fairness, it did take a lot of work to get this set up properly, but I think it was worth it. It actually has more clearance than the former 3" drop base cleaner did. It's a hybrid base-top combo, but it perfectly accepts the common and healthy-sized CA/SA324a filter, which is 13 x 2 13/16". And it sure looks like there's enough room under there for a couple hoses and some scoops...

marcar1993

Oct 3, 2018
CNJ
What did I do? I drove it. About the usual for it. Hoping to not need to do too much through the summer at least!

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Well, I finally bolted my new air cleaner on tonight, and I'm pretty happy with the results. My goal was to get a factory-style dual-snorkel air cleaner under the factory aluminum hood with no cutting, no smashing, and no clearance or maintenance issues. For those who aren't aware, it's difficult to do this on a G-body with a 455 because the 455 is taller than a 307/350/403. I'm also running an Edelbrock Performer, which I believe pushes the air cleaner even higher. Anyway, here it is. The "Impossible". In fairness, it did take a lot of work to get this set up properly, but I think it was worth it. It actually has more clearance than the former 3" drop base cleaner did. It's a hybrid base-top combo, but it perfectly accepts the common and healthy-sized CA/SA324a filter, which is 13 x 2 13/16". And it sure looks like there's enough room under there for a couple hoses and some scoops...

View attachment 484
Put up a list of part numbers if possible. This is a big issue with 455 in a G body. Heck even with a Performer RPM and a SB in a G body.

Reactions: JAMCAR223

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
The air cleaner itself is a '74 Corvette dual-snorkel base with a '70s Cadillac top. When properly massaged, they fit together perfectly, and with a thin, soft seal installed, the CA/SA324A filter fits nice and snug inside. (I think any '70s GM top with similar dimensions should work about the same) I did have to make a custom air cleaner to carb gasket. This is about 1/2" thick at the rear, and about 1/8" in the front, and it still allows for very minor contact between the hood and cleaner under certain circumstances. I'm going to make another gasket, just slightly thicker in the back and thinner in the front. This should do the trick.

TURNA

Oct 5, 2018
NY
Ok, cool. So you're having to tilt the air cleaner somewhat for clearance? Kinda like following the angle of the hood itself?

I posted this over at GBody a while back for Olds with different GM air cleaners

Olds 442 perfect fit, obviously.......

66 Toronado distributor interference (made for points distributor) and AC muffler interference Sux I really wanted to use this one!

Late 70's early 80's Vette hits AC bracket and PCV valve

80's Camaro FITS!!!!!!! BUT you will need a PCV valve with a 90* instead of the straight up Olds version.

Latest posts