What chevy engine can I swap into my 86 442?

IIIQuaZIII

Oct 11, 2020
Hey guys. Guess who's back? In all seriousness, anyone ever replace a whole fuse box on a gbody 442? How big of a PITA is it Any real gotchas? Never done a whole fuse box before.....

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
What up with the original one, burnt or corroded? The answer to the chebby question is, none will swap in😉

IIIQuaZIII

Oct 11, 2020
What up with the original one, burnt or corroded? The answer to the chebby question is, none will swap in😉
More like water got on it, so corroded. It needs to come out in its entirety. Never done that before, but I can solder. Hopefully the wires going into it aren't bad too far back into the insulation.

Matt69olds

Oct 8, 2018
Kokomo Indiana
Where have you been hiding??? How has life been treating you?

Del city carries the ATO fuse terminals. They come in strips of 4, or individually.

It’s been awhile since I messed with a G fuse box, I don’t recall if they used main buss bar on the power side of the fuse with more than 4 fuses, if so, you could make a small jumper or carefully solder 2 terminal strips together.

If the Chevy dash harness is in good shape, it could probably be swapped into the Olds fairly easy. There are probably minor differences, mainly in component location and connector pinout orientation, depending on options. If the Chevy harness came out of a car with idiot lights, there will be differences in the wire location, and some that will need to be added (tach, wire for both the temp gauge and warning light) etc.

The other option, cut the fuse box out of the Olds, and splice every wire to the Chevy box. Your going to need to stagger each splice, or your repair area will be 3 times thicker than the original harness. Use good heat shrink style connectors with the proper crimper.

Latest posts