Compression Ratio for 425 Engine

pennst8er

Oct 26, 2021
Hey All, I have a 1966 Delta 88 with a 425 engine. It is still completely stock (60k original miles) with a 2 barrel intake/carburetor and single exhaust.

Did all 425s come with the same heads, hence compression ratio or did they come with different heads/compression ratios? I want to get the most horsepower out of it as I can so of course plan to put dual exhausts on and a 4bbl intake/carb setup.

I have been trying to research this answer as best I can but can't get a straight answer. I read somewhere that there were 425s with 9 to 1 and some with 10.5 to 1 ratios. I also read that all came with 10.5 to 1 ratio combustion chambers.

I figured that if there were experts anywhere on Olds 425 engines, they would be on here. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Rocketman269V

Feb 26, 2020
South Central Florida
The 425s were available as low compression 2-bbl & 4-bbl AND high compression 2-bbl & 4-bbl. This was accomplished with different piston dome configurations. There were actually three different compression ratios: low, high and ultra high. The tip off from the factory was the air cleaner color; black for low compression and red/orange for high compression. The heads also had either small or big valves. Confused?

pennst8er

Oct 26, 2021
The 425s were available as low compression 2-bbl & 4-bbl AND high compression 2-bbl & 4-bbl. This was accomplished with different piston dome configurations. There were actually three different compression ratios: low, high and ultra high. The tip off from the factory was the air cleaner color; black for low compression and red/orange for high compression. The heads also had either small or big valves. Confused?
Haha, yes, somewhat confused. Thank you for your answer. So my air cleaner is red/orange so I have high compression. Is there a way to tell if it has ultra-high compression? Also, is there a way to tell if it had small or big valves?

Rocketman269V

Feb 26, 2020
South Central Florida
I'm pretty sure that they didn't make any 2-bbl 425s with the ultra high compression pistons, as it was more of a performance option. That being said, Olds did build some "Turnpike Cruiser" models from '68-'70. These were ultra high compression, 2-bbl equipped A-body cars. They were geared toward traveling salesmen and came with a 2.56 positraction rear end. It was supposed to give you better fuel economy on the highway; however, I question their logic, as a 4-bbl should get better mileage at a steady cruising speed.

Last edited:

pennst8er

Oct 26, 2021
This attached photo is a 425 from a 1967 Toronado. Does this have the big valves?
1636993543385.png