Exhaust manifold bolts -1?

Onehit

Oct 3, 2018
Old Bridge, NJ
I finally decided to change the passenger side exhaust manifold gasket out cuz it blew out in the back. I had an extra one laying around and of course the center boIt broke off. I tried to get the bolt out but no good its such an awkward spot to work at so I put it back with just the 4 and it's sealed up quiet again. anybody ever run without one of the bolts? I figured if it blows out again it's only five bucks to replace the gaskets and I really don't want to pull this head off to get that bolt out.
1015181435a.jpg

Last edited:

Onehit

Oct 3, 2018
Old Bridge, NJ
I wish...it sheared right at the head, there's nothing to grab. I tried walking it out with a punch but it just sheared more of it off. It would need to be drilled out.

Onehit

Oct 3, 2018
Old Bridge, NJ
I guess we'll find out how it works with manifolds. I didn't realize how loud it was until it was fixed....well kinda

Rktpwrd

Oct 4, 2018
Calgary Alberta Canada
Its not on my Olds engine, but on my SBC, I’m running 1st gen manifolds with Vortec heads. There’s one bolt per side for the manifolds that doesn’t have a corresponding head bolt hole. I’ve had no issues with blowing out exhaust manifold gaskets or leaking with these bolts missing, so I think you’ll be fine.

Alternatively you could remove the manifold, and if you have access to a welder, weld a new nut on top of the broken stud. This would give you the leverage to remove it, and the heat it generates might help break it free as well.

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
Imo, you'll have to remove the head to fix it. I've had luck with placing a flat STEEL (non coated) washer then a 6 point STEEL nut. Weld thru the hole.

Reactions: TURNA

Latest posts