AC fix it? or delete it ?

Roy Ale

Oct 20, 2020
Victoria BC
My AC pump leaks oil , i keep topping it up and blows sort of cool , but makes a mess , oil sticks to under side of hood, front of engine , oil on belts and lots of oil around AC pump . So Question , would you fix the AC or delete it ? Would like to go over all the advantages and disadvantages of keeping AC going or removing it . So this thread is why or why not keep AC . My car is a 1982 4 door delta 88, 307 engine , car is in very nice shape . So some things would be resale , performance , weight , belts.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
A/C is nice and this is an Oldsmobile. I plan on adding aftermarket A/C along with cruise on my 70S. Too bad the R4 compressors are leaking, clattering junk. There is minimal power to be gained by removing it. Another big issue on Vin Y 307 cars, you can't just remove the A/C compressor. Either a conversion to a passenger side non A/C alDoing so only leaves one belt driving off the crank. Your alternator belt will slip till it burns off, ask me how I know🙁. A seal is worth a try.

Roy Ale

Oct 20, 2020
Victoria BC
I agree about the belt noise , I had the AC belt off for a while , way to much belt slipping noise / squeal . found out the AC belt has to be on to help turn the water pump pulley . So put the AC belt back on. So i know now that if i do not fix the AC i will need to have an idler pulley to replace the AC pump or move the alternator to the other side of engine.

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

Latest posts