83 anemic 305

JohnVM

Apr 24, 2021
Thank you for the add.
In the past I have had a 68 98 drop top with a 455.Great engine in a great car.
Presently I have a 83 Rivy drop top with a 305 Olds engine which feels anemic.
I understand this is only a cruiser but I would like to spice it up a bit as there is only 36k on the car.
Thinking of pulling off the quadrajet and going with a fuel injection set up.
Any recommendations for this set up?
Intake, heads, cam?
Has a early ecm set up to deal with .
Thank you for any input.

Rocketman269V

Feb 26, 2020
South Central Florida
If you have an Olds engine, it's a 307. In any event, they have lackluster performance. ANY Olds small block will bolt right in and use all of your current brackets. Some of the down-sized Eldos/Rivs came with a 403, which isn't a powerhouse in stock form, but a lot better than the 5.0L.

Reactions: JohnVM

JohnVM

Apr 24, 2021
Thank you for the info.
Just wanted to spice up the stock engine a bit as it only has under 40k on it.
I realize the mid 80's engineering was lackluster at best?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Does the motor have an oil fill tube near the front? I assume a overdrive transaxle? What is the stock gear ratios in the Tornado and Rivera's from the 80's? A good tune up with NGK XR45 or XR5 spark plugs, new brass contact cap and rotor and low ohm spark plug wires might help and are probably needed. Also checked the timing with the electronic advance disabled, usually around 20 degrees. I believe it is ground the A to the B terminal with a paper clip to disable the advance. Also the fuel filter in the carb may be plugged. Make sure to hold the housing with a 1" wrench and use a 5/8" brake line wrench on the fuel line itself. Don't forget the spring to go in with the new fuel filter. One area that limits the 307 Vin Y motor is the secondary carb opening and lean metering rods. Adjust the air door so it opens to 90 degrees, factory is much less. Also a G hanger and CK or CV secondary rods will help pep it up. Also the catalytic converter could be partially plugged, dual exhaust will also help power, if there is room. It has been years since I have seen under one. Good luck.

Reactions: JohnVM

Latest posts