82 cutlass help meee plz

Baddnewz5150

Apr 8, 2021
So I got this 82 cutt for my son it starts up and everything when u rev tha engine it back fires or u try and drive it u press gas and it goes pop and dies . I barely looked at all the wires and this is what I have atm Fml lol help a lady guys

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Is the check engine light on? Does it happen cold or when warm?

JAMCAR223

Apr 20, 2019
HOUSTON, TX
More than likely, the engine timing is not set correctly. This could be as simple as spark plug wires not installed correctly OR distributor not adjusted correctly OR timing chain stretched/worn out. YouTube will have videos on all these scenarios. A Chilton automotive manual will have info on these scenarios. If your son is serious about owning a classic Oldsmobile, he needs to learn how to work on it. Mom buys car. Son fixes car. Time to start learning...

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
So it idles fine? What happens if the engine is warm and you VERY SLOWLY try to bring the revs up? If it idles fine, but backfires when you moderately-quickly open the throttle, it could also be the accelerator pump. This is a part inside the carburetor, and can either be replaced, or the entire carburetor can be swapped out. Check the timing, and see what happens when you try to bring the revs up slowly. How do the plugs, wires, and cap and rotor look? (Without knowing more, the anecdotal things I would think about here: how many miles on the engine? Do the plug wires etc. look cobbled together, or does it look more stock-ish/unmolested, how old/dirty is the carburetor? I'd be thinking of the car's previous life, and how it might have gotten to this point.. Abuse, hack mechanical work....or age/neglect? In the former case, it may need a thorough going-through or major work. The latter may be a fairly simple fix.)

Latest posts