What ever happened to...

DoubleV

Oct 4, 2018
Ohio
..an old poster here named 'chromebeat with feet' or something like that? He used to post here like crazy then his last posts were about his big expensive sbo he built that was done all wrong and was putting out a pathetic amount of power.

Was always curious if he ever got it running correctly.

Refresher; he built a 350 with Edelbrock heads with only 9:1 CR and a WAY oversized cam. His carb was so out of tune it was running something like 8:1 AF ratio at wot. Dynoed at like 200hp and he had alot of money in it. He was told to replace cam but didn't want to...

The funny thing I'll always remember about it was the fact he was running this engine for a long time but didn't realize it was underpowered until it was dynoed! I was like 'couldnt you tell it wasn't running anywhere near it's potential before the Dyno?'!!!

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I think it was Chrome feet with a beat. Yeah, I believe he had a Stage 2? Jet Qjet, 9 to 1 350 and I can't remember the cam, he messed around with it forever. He posted an absolute ton on the old site. JChicago was another one, I saw he was selling the last of his Olds parts, I see he has a Challenger, according to Facebook.

DoubleV

Oct 4, 2018
Ohio
Hard to blame anyone for switching over to a new challenger. Modern muscle is just worlds better all around than any of our old school hunks of iron but they just don't have the cool factor of an old car and probably never will

I'd still buy Chromey's Olds 350 off him for cheap though....

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Hard to blame anyone for switching over to a new challenger. Modern muscle is just worlds better all around than any of our old school hunks of iron but they just don't have the cool factor of an old car and probably never will

I'd still buy Chromey's Olds 350 off him for cheap though....
That is why we have owned 2 Challenger's, this 17 GT is awesome, 35 mpg and can run 14's in the quarter. My 88 ran the same 1/4 with the 350 but would have been lucky to see 20 mpg. Chrome put a lot of good parts in his car, just the excution was questionable. All his car needed was a retuning or replace the carb and mill enough to equal 10cc smaller chambers, both would have made a night and day difference.

DoubleV

Oct 4, 2018
Ohio
Yeah I was wondering if he actually did any of that or just gave up on it ( and possibly Olds altogether )?

Always cracked me up though. Here's a guy posting like crazy and giving advice to others and meanwhile is completely oblivious to the fact his high dollar performance built engine is a complete turd until the dyno sheet told him so!!

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I forgot it performed so poorly, kind of coming back. Wasn't the cranking compression low as well? I bet his car is long gone.

DoubleV

Oct 4, 2018
Ohio
I'm sure the cranking compression was low. It was way over cammed. He was even told the cam was too big before he bought it but he didn't listen!

Also believe the rest of the car wasn't built smartly either, like he had granny gears or maybe ok gearing with low stall converter. Either way, a complete mismatch of parts from top to bottom.

If he hot fed up with it being such a turd and didn't want to put the time and money into it to make it right, he might've sold the whole thing for cheap.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Wow, a low stall too, it may have been 2.73 gears. Before my daughter ran the 2004R low and cooked it, with the 2300 stall and 2.78 gears, I could leave rubber for a 1/4 block. With the current TH350 and 1600 stall, it will only spin the tires in a perfect launch. And my cam is about perfect with 9 to 1 being 214/214 and it still needs stall with lousy gears. Wow that was a turd of a combo and not cheap, don't forget the 190cc intake runners killing low end even more. He disappeared suddenly, probably bought a Mustang.

Latest posts