Restamped parts and the idiots on both sides

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Anyone who restamp's regular low value parts as valuable W30 parts are horrible people. The guy who has to have every part date coded, pays ridiculous money and looks down their nose at anyone who's car isn't is also a horrible person and has ruined our hobby. Personally, if I bought a W30 and it was completely stock, I would leave that way. But if it is a non original carb, distributor or even the motor, I would build it how I want it. An 800 cfm custom Qjet and better ignition would out perform the originals at a much lower cost. I have a whole flame retardant outfit, being a fuel truck driver, so I am ready. I was going to post this on the other site talking about restamped parts but decided to do it here instead. Thought? Flame away!

marcar1993

Oct 3, 2018
CNJ
Just depends on the car and the purpose. I agree that the snobs are terrible though.
My wagon is an AACA preservation car, it is original, and as such I want everything I replace to be original within reason. On the same, not every car needs to be done that way... I don't understand people who cannot see anything done in a different manner than their own.

DR HURST 84

Mar 27, 2019
Belleville, MI
Anyone who restamp's regular low value parts as valuable W30 parts are horrible people. The guy who has to have every part date coded, pays ridiculous money and looks down their nose at anyone who's car isn't is also a horrible person and has ruined our hobby. Personally, if I bought a W30 and it was completely stock, I would leave that way. But if it is a non original carb, distributor or even the motor, I would build it how I want it. An 800 cfm custom Qjet and better ignition would out perform the originals at a much lower cost. I have a whole flame retardant outfit, being a fuel truck driver, so I am ready. I was going to post this on the other site talking about restamped parts but decided to do it here instead. Thought? Flame away!

I agree with you Sir!

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Your 84 Hurst is a perfect example, the factory exhaust is horrible and a big hindrance stock. Just adding dual exhaust shaves a second off the 1/4 mile, even with manifolds. Is stock better? Although I still want to see someone try Cutlassefi's 4" billet stroker crank in a 307 and claim it is stock, 375 ci. Think 5A heads ported like Dale Robinson did along with a ported A4 intake, it would haul ass.

Reactions: DR HURST 84

DR HURST 84

Mar 27, 2019
Belleville, MI
Your 84 Hurst is a perfect example, the factory exhaust is horrible and a big hindrance stock. Just adding dual exhaust shaves a second off the 1/4 mile, even with manifolds. Is stock better? Although I still want to see someone try Cutlassefi's 4" billet stroker crank in a 307 and claim it is stock, 375 ci. Think 5A heads ported like Dale Robinson did along with a ported A4 intake, it would haul ass.

Very True!

DR HURST 84

Mar 27, 2019
Belleville, MI

I am thinking about putting true duals on my 84 Hurst. I'm sure it would improve the performance quite a bit. Maybe headers too but I would keep the original parts of course.

Reactions: Olds 307 and 403

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
It wouldn't surprise with a good tune with headers and duals if it would hit high 14's vs low 16's. I lost no bottom end with 1 5/8" Sanderson shorties and this 2.5" X pipe exhaust didn't hurt the bottom end and big time helped the top end on the little 260. It almost felt as good as a 307:). I went back to manifolds and maybe 1 7/8" dual exhaust. In theory 2.5" exhaust should be too big and small exhaust should be better for such a small, mild V8. I found the opposite, so it is going back on. According to a few, shorty headers are near useless. Of course all full length have 1 3/4" primary tubes for Olds G bodies. The Sanderson and Thornton shorties have 1 5/8" primary and the Thornton have 2.25" collectors while the Sanderson's have 3".
20190412_074531.jpg

Reactions: DR HURST 84

DR HURST 84

Mar 27, 2019
Belleville, MI
It wouldn't surprise with a good tune with headers and duals if it would hit high 14's vs low 16's. I lost no bottom end with 1 5/8" Sanderson shorties and this 2.5" X pipe exhaust didn't hurt the bottom end and big time helped the top end on the little 260. It almost felt as good as a 307:). I went back to manifolds and maybe 1 7/8" dual exhaust. In theory 2.5" exhaust should be too big and small exhaust should be better for such a small, mild V8. I found the opposite, so it is going back on. According to a few, shorty headers are near useless. Of course all full length have 1 3/4" primary tubes for Olds G bodies. The Sanderson and Thornton shorties have 1 5/8" primary and the Thornton have 2.25" collectors while the Sanderson's have 3".
View attachment 483

That would be a big gain. I might just have to do that.

DR HURST 84

Mar 27, 2019
Belleville, MI
View attachment 483

Did you make that exhaust up yourself or did and exhaust shop do it for you. Looks like you can use the stock cross member.

Latest posts