Muffler temperature single vs dual ?

Roy Ale

Oct 20, 2020
Victoria BC
Exhaust system question in Lounge as car is not an Oldsmobile . Car has an in line 6 with a single exhaust . Issue might be design of car , its a Fox body unibody . I am having an issue with heat transfer from the muffler to the inside floor of the car . The muffler has a heat shield built into the top of it , and at least an inch of air space between muffler and under side of car . Will stay with a single out from exhaust manifold , then maybe splitting off the exhaust Y to two mufflers. Would adding one more muffler / dual reduce down the temperature of the mufflers ? Or would they both be the same as what the single was . Has anyone gone from single to double and noticed the muffler temps drop ?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
I did on my 88 Olds, can't say I did notice temp but it did help flow. How large is the muffler? It could be partially plugged. If a mouse nest is inside blocking it, that could be the issue.

Roy Ale

Oct 20, 2020
Victoria BC
I would think more flow should be less heat . So adding one more pipe and one more muffler would reduce heat from the one muffler . is that thinking on the right track ? if yes ! then we may go with duals on the inline 6 .

The muffler is big for a Fox body car , and yes could be other issues with muffler on the car. maybe should have shop remove muffler for a look see inside . its not the original muffler , my wife would have asked for a quiet muffler . I think quiet means more restrictions which means more heat .

Could be a Fox body design fault as well . the factory attached a fibreglass mat to the under side of the back seat , just above the muffler , so the factory knew this was going to be an issue. I put a temperature gauge under the fibreglass mat , just a short drive around town the gauge was 152 o/ F

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
The Dynomax Superturbo flow decent and are quite. True duals are always best.

Roy Ale

Oct 20, 2020
Victoria BC
Link is about the dynomax super turbo muffler . OP is a fox body car with a 6cyl engine / one barrel carb / so not looking for performance on this car . But others might be . And may put these on my 307 . The thread is interesting / inside diameter of tubes and pics of muffler cut open . says the D S T is a 1960 s chevy Corvair turbo muffler. thread.html

Last edited:

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Yeah, the Dynomax is a compromise on noise control for maximum flow. Of course you can put on the classic Flowmaster 40 and get neither.