Headliner removal

Tgeisleman

May 18, 2019
Fort Wayne, IN
I have an 83 Hurst Olds with the factory Astro roof. I have removed all the trim from around the outside of the headliner but it seems to be attached somewhere around the Astro roof. Any information on how to get the headliner out would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to repair the Astro roof

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
I'm not familiar with the Astro Roof so I'm taking a shot in the dark, but when you say it "seems to be attached", does it seem like it's solidly attached across the whole perimeter of the opening, or does it seem attached only in spots? (you could tell by pulling down very gently on the edge of the headliner board near the B pillar and seeing where the board flexes) You could also learn something by doing the same all around the edge of the sunroof opening, to see where it flexes. My guess, because again I'm not familiar with the Astro Roof, is that there may be either blind clips holding it up, or there may be a few dabs of adhesive. Of course it goes without saying, you did already take out the dome light, right?

Tgeisleman

May 18, 2019
Fort Wayne, IN
I've removed the dome light, I just bought a service manual for the 83 g body. It has a metal ring attached around the perimeter on the inside. The board can be pulled down a little, but the material runs underneath the metal ring. I pulled on the ring a little bit but it doesn't seem to want to slide off. I sure it's on there pretty tight, I just don't want to tear anything up. It's the original headliner and it's not sagging anywhere. Thanks for the help. If you could tell me how to get the ring off with to much damage, I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
Sorry, don't have any direct experience with the Astro Roof, so can't offer too much. I guess my approach in a case like this is, pull gently, and if that doesn't work, pull more forcefully. It's either going to come off or break, and if it breaks, it may have broken anyway. (Always looking for the...weakly and strongly retained areas, indicating where clips/fasteners are/aren't, and blindly trying to figure out how they might work) Even the standard trim, it was SUPPOSED to be removable, but it broke, so time to find new clips or figure something else out. And on the headliner material, I think a lot of it has to do with heat and oxidation, which is unavoidable. My headliner was also in shockingly good condition, until my ex-girlfriend discovered that when she pushed on it with her hand, it left a permanent hand print, which shortly turned into a sagging bubble. This eventually encompassed half of the headliner, so I was forced to pull it down and recover it. If your headliner also allows for permanent impressions, then it's probably a good idea to recover it, rather than having to do the job twice. Relatively easy job, and almost necessary if the headliner board is damaged on the removal and you need to repair it. I can offer plenty of guidance on this particular subject.

Tgeisleman

May 18, 2019
Fort Wayne, IN
Thank you for the response. The electric motor is bad and needs replaced. I was able to open the sunroof manually. The service manual has some good information in it. I have a new seal, the old one was dry rotted. Thank you for the help.

Latest posts