Fence!

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
It always rains here in the concrete jungle, so car-related things are on hiatus. I have a dog, and a decent sized fence all around my yard except for one area, where the fence was particularly low. This area happens to adjoin with my weird neighbors who work out in their garden all the time. I say weird, because of how the lady reacts to the dog.

He's a shepherd, so he's got a certain protective instinct. When he goes out and someone is out there right by our yard, he barks at them. I don't let him do it continuously, but it is his bathroom, after all. So when he goes and barks at this lady, instead of ignoring him, she starts screaming and waving her arms wildly. I mean, it's obvious this lady is nuts. For anyone who isn't familiar with barking dogs, this is NOT the way to get them to stop ha ha. So my dog now has a vendetta for her. I've had to run out there to stop him from jumping the fence and eating her.

Decided to put in a taller fence at this spot, to avoid the hassle. First got a permit, which is stupid but necessary, and dug the holes. They say they have to be '42" deep, no less'. First challenge was, I was digging close to another post, and the concrete was in the way. (See my "Demolition Hammers are Cool" post) Once this was taken care of, I started digging my 42" holes. Finished, and then it rained, and I had to dig them again. And again. And again. Finally got a couple days in a row where it didn't rain, and was able to get the inspection done. Approved. Got the posts in and 500 lbs of concrete poured within a couple hours. Got the fence up and tensioned within a few more hours, and now I don't have to worry about my neighbor anymore.

Kennybill

Oct 3, 2018
Braceville Ohio
They always say, "fences make good neighbors." I couldn't take living in the city plus the zoning blows. I live in the "country" for that reason. My lot is 200' X 1220' with a wooded same size lot on each side. The one lot just went for sale so the neighbor on the other side and me are buying/splitting it so we have our privacy.

Intragration

Apr 2, 2019
Chicago
Someday I hope to be out there by you. I was looking at some areas in Indiana just outside of the "metro area", but the commute would be brutal. So meanwhile, I'm stuck on my micro-compound here in the concrete jungle.

The dimensions of your lot seem to be strangely long and narrow, is this typical? Cool that you were able to pick up some more land to add to it. How difficult is it to do the partitioning you're talking about, legally? Does that make your lot 300' wide, or do you now have an additional 100' wide lot?

Latest posts