HELP 394 PLEASE HELP!!!

DummyMe

Oct 19, 2019
VA
I’m not sure where to even start with this! I’m looking for info on changing an early (59-62) 394 to a later (63). I recently had an engine built for my 1963 Starfire and the builder for whatever reason used an earlier 394 engine. He was very aware of my year model car! I have unfortunately a lot of money in this engine for it to be the wrong year model. That’s water under the bridge for now but I have what I think is going to be a big issue! While looking at the pics that he has sent me of the engine it appears that the water pump is tucked closer to the engine on the earlier 394. With this being said I feel the pulleys from my 63 power steering and alternator are not going to line up with the harmonic balancer, water pump etc. The other reason I think my pulley system won’t work is due to my car having an alternator and the 59 60 61 and 62 had a generator. Is there anything I can do about this?

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
Are the water pumps interchangeable? I would think they are. Most of us know the second gen Olds V8's which have FOUR different length water pumps which mean different pulleys go with the matched length water pump. I would think a new replacement or your current water pump off the old 394 will fix any alignment issues. Good luck.

DummyMe

Oct 19, 2019
VA
Are the water pumps interchangeable? I would think they are. Most of us know the second gen Olds V8's which have FOUR different length water pumps which mean different pulleys go with the matched length water pump. I would think a new replacement or your current water pump off the old 394 will fix any alignment issues. Good luck.
Thanks for that information. The pulley that I’m worried about is the crank pulley. Hope everything works

DummyMe

Oct 19, 2019
VA
I
I’m worried that the ps and alternator from my 63 motor won’t line up with the 60 model motor.

Olds 307 and 403

Oct 4, 2018
Melville, Saskatchewan
With the right water pump and any factory spacers for accessories, it should.

Latest posts