Go Back   OldsPower.com > Discussion > Engine/Transmission/Driveability
Register Forums Gallery Support Us! FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help Support OldsPower.com

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
84 H/O

Title: Turbo Tard
Send a message via Yahoo to 84 H/O
Default Olds turbo kit

Hey for everyone who'd like to own a turbocharged Olds V8 (myself included) here's a bolt on kit! Put this on your J head 455, kick ass and take names!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...fAccesso ries

When you push your rods through the oil pan don't blame me though

Tony

1969 442 convert- 400, 200-4R, 3.73 posi, OAI, every option but cruise and power locks

87 Sunbird GT turbo convt - 13.61 @101, 260 whp/350 wtq. Not bad for only 2 liters huh? Same size as a coke bottle........

2009 Solstice GXP- quick and handles like it's on rails. I love these turbo 4 bangers!

2012 Ford FX4 Ecoboost V6, murdered out and ghetto cool
Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
chromefeet_withbeat

Title: I have an Olds life
Photos: 14  Users Photo Gallery
Default Re: Olds turbo kit

I've never been opposed to turbo-charging anything, for the sake of turboing anything, but I don't understand why people would want to turbocharge oldsmobile V8 GASOLINE blocks. Especially a 455.

According to everyone who seems to know what they are talking about on this site, the strongest olds gasoline blocks will start to fall apart around 650hp, no matter what you do to them. (this is to say nothing of DX blocks, yet)

Being that it's not incredibly difficult to get even 550hp out of a moderately built 455, 468, whatever BBO, why would someone want to turbo-charge a BBO? Just so they can crack over 700hp and blow up their motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 H/O View Post
When you push your rods through the oil pan don't blame me though
My point exactly. I guess if someone wanted to have 600hp out of a gasoline-block-BBO, with one that has a tiny cam, 7.5:1 compression for piss-water 87 octane, and makes max power at 4,800 rpm and max torque at 2,500 rpm, or whatever, I can understand that.

But me, personally, if i want to make about that much power with a BBO, i'd rather put in a big cam, some head work, highest compression that my local pump gas can support, and a good converter/rear-end combo that puts me in my powerband easily. If that wasn't enough for me somehow, then I'd look into a blower.

But most any way I see it, 25+ PSI on any olds gasoline block is just asking for shrapnel.

Now for crazy boost and 1,000 HP on olds DX blocks converted to gasoline use......

GO ! ! !

Plus, that kit on ebay seems to be lacking an intake or carb to blow though, a significant omission. Nothing about that kit seems olds-specific at all, just a generic turbo kit for any car.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
84 H/O

Oh no, it's Olds specific just ask him

Tony

1969 442 convert- 400, 200-4R, 3.73 posi, OAI, every option but cruise and power locks

87 Sunbird GT turbo convt - 13.61 @101, 260 whp/350 wtq. Not bad for only 2 liters huh? Same size as a coke bottle........

2009 Solstice GXP- quick and handles like it's on rails. I love these turbo 4 bangers!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
chromefeet_withbeat

How is that? I don't see any induction pieces.

Sorry Tony, I'm not trying to rag on you or the kit, just trying to put across another point of view.

This is partially because many times, when me and my friends are hanging out around my car when I'm working on it, and we BS and bench race, certain questions always come up like:

How much power you think it will make?

Maybe around 450hp at the flexplate, not bad for a 350. (Thanks capt'jim )

That's pretty cool. So when you wanna throw twin turbos on it?

And then I pretty much repeat what I just told you in my last post. And then they stop listening halfway.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
dan2286

Title: I Have an Olds Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromefeet_withbeat View Post
How is that? I don't see any induction pieces.

Sorry Tony, I'm not trying to rag on you or the kit, just trying to put across another point of view.

This is partially because many times, when me and my friends are hanging out around my car when I'm working on it, and we BS and bench race, certain questions always come up like:

How much power you think it will make?

Maybe around 450hp at the flexplate, not bad for a 350. (Thanks capt'jim )

That's pretty cool. So when you wanna throw twin turbos on it?

And then I pretty much repeat what I just told you in my last post. And then they stop listening halfway.
I'm surprised you don't see his sarcasm It's a universal kit that is said to be made for an Olds. He could also say it works on Ford Windstar if he really wanted to. Also, do you really need a turbo to get 450 h.p. out of a 455?

'84 Cutlass
Old 04-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
84 H/O

Of course I was kidding, sorry you missed that. You're exactly right about the pieces to hook up to a carb or throttle body missing. I feel bad for anybody who buys something like that then goes to install it and say's "gee where's this piece and that piece? What a rip off!" You have to be a smart shopper, know what you're buying and know what you should be buying. If it looks too good to be true.....

Tony

Old 04-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
SnyperBob

Title: Olds Freak

All the important stuff is missing, lol. You know, the stuff that actually makes it Olds specific

Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
84 H/O

That must come in the "Super Deluxe" Olds turbo kit!

Tony

Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
FE3X CLONE

I like the up to 450HP comment with 25+psi of boost. I sure would hope you'd have a heck of a lot more HP than that if your running 25psi.

Heck, my brother is only running 10psi and is at 450HP at the crank on his Mustang.

1987 Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone project
EFI455/T-56 6 speed/4.30

Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #10
Lars

Photos:Users Photo Gallery

i would throw it on a low comp 72 350, with a w30 cam in there-- should rock and stay alive to 6500 rpm

Below, old stuff I don't have anymore

By lars81 at 2009-01-01
thanks BIGJERR
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
chromefeet_withbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2286 View Post
I'm surprised you don't see his sarcasm
ok, i missed the sarcasm. pretty bad for a super-sarcastic mofo like myself, but sarcasm goes more easily unrecognized on the internet, with only text and smileys to give us cues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 H/O View Post
Of course I was kidding, sorry you missed that. You're exactly right about the pieces to hook up to a carb or throttle body missing. I feel bad for anybody who buys something like that then goes to install it and say's "gee where's this piece and that piece? What a rip off!" You have to be a smart shopper, know what you're buying and know what you should be buying. If it looks too good to be true.....
yea. i see alot of things marketed in a similar fashion on the evil-bay, which is partially why i avoid it as much as possible, especially when i can get the same parts elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FE3X CLONE View Post
I like the up to 450HP comment with 25+psi of boost. I sure would hope you'd have a heck of a lot more HP than that if your running 25psi.
Maybe they meant you can make 450hp on a olds 260 or 307 running 25psi. Now that would be impressive. After all, this is an olds-specific kit, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
i would throw it on a low comp 72 350, with a w30 cam in there-- should rock and stay alive to 6500 rpm
Now thats more like it, on a serious note. I would do that with a more-boost friendly cam, but that is one possible way to make a street-friendly 500-600hp and still have everything hold together.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: